- GRANGEPANS, a village, in the parish of Carriden, county of Linlithgow, ½ a mile (E. by S.) from Borrowstounness; containing 517 inhabitants. It is situated on the south shore of the Frith of Forth, and nearly equidistant from Borrowstounness and Bridgeness. The place has been for some time the seat of the salt manufacture, and although the trade in the article has been much reduced, yet in 1834 there were six pans in operation, producing annually about 23,000 bushels; in 1843 the number of pans had decreased to four. In the village is also a mailting establishment; and until lately the manufacture of sal-ammoniac was carried on. The mansion-house of Grange is of some antiquity, and, having undergone repair, is now occupied by a tenant. The coast road from Borrowstounness to Bridgeness passes through the village.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Carriden — CARRIDEN, a parish, in the county of Linlithgow, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from Borrowstounness; containing, with the villages of Blackness, Bridgeness, Cuffabouts, Grangepans, and Muirhouses, 1208 inhabitants. This place derives its name, originally … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Corstorphine — This article is about Corstorphine in Scotland. For Corstorphine in New Zealand, see Corstorphine, New Zealand. Signpost in Corstorphine Corstorphine was originally a village to the west of and separate from Edinburgh, Scotland, and is now a… … Wikipedia